top of page



Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) permits you to work, without restriction, in the United Kingdom. You are also permitted to  exit and re-enter the UK multiple times, with further rights to public funds. However, Indefinite Leave to Remain is only valid  in the UK, it does not permit you the right to work in any of the  European countries.

Routes to Indefinite Leave to Remain

You may be permitted to apply for ILR under the following routes:

  • Once you have completed two years on a route to settlement such a Spouse, Civil and Un- Married partner visa and you applied under the old rules before July 2012.

  • Once you have completed a full five year term under a spouse, civil and un–married partner visa,  after the rules changed in July 2012.

  • Once you have completed five Years on an  Ancestry Visa

  • Once you have completed five years on a work related visa (Tier 2 ICT does not lead to settlement).

  • There may be an opportunity for accelerated settlement after 3 years if you are a Tier 1 Investor or Tier 1 Entrepreneur.

  • Permanent Residency – An EU citizen, (except a student) and their family member may apply for permanent residency after 5 years of continuous residency. Permanent Residency is the settlement category for people applying under the EEA Regulations 2016.

Basic Requirements

  • You must pass the Life in the UK test.

  • Unless you are otherwise exempted you must pass an English Language Test at level B1 CEFR or higher. The test centre must be recognised by UKVI.

  • You must complete the full term in the route leading to settlement.

  • You must ensure you meet the salary threshold required in maintaining your current visa ( if applicable).

  • You must demonstrate  your relationship continues to subsist (if applicable).

  • You must pass the criminal record check.

  • If you are applying for Settlement under the Tier 2 route, you will need to meet the salary threshold requirement.


  • You may apply in the UK via the postal route or Public Enquiry Office.

Key Information

  • The settlement visa  allows you to the live in the UK for an indefinite period.

  • You may enjoy unrestricted employment.

  • In most cases you may apply to Naturalise once you have held Indefinite Leave to Remain for at least one year.

Professional Fee

A Fixed Fee of £400 to represent you payable on submission of the application to the Home Office. The Fee includes checking the application, documentation & informing you of any developments as they arise. There will be no VAT charged, However, you will be responsible for any Home Office application fees & disbursements regarding the application.

bottom of page